Words of Lee Adrian Barlow --
taken from e-mail "letters", a Resume, and other personal writings
With minor editing for clarity and continuity
& [with memories and information from others in brackets]


"And awa-a-a-y we go! My information, as well as my memory, may be a little sketchy in spots, but I'll do the best I can.

The family

Father; Harry Lee Barlow, Moscow, Ind.
Mother; Blanche Myrtle (Smith) Barlow, Corinth, Ky.

Got to rummaging around and found a small handbook containing a yearly calendar dated 1912.
Inside, in Mother's handwriting, are several notations, to wit:
Mamma departed from this life Apr. 8-1918
Papa departed from this life Nov. 4-1920
James M. Barlow Born July 31 1929 Died July 31 1929
Max Linden Barlow Born Sept. 10-1930 Died Oct 4 1931
(James M. was born dead, and Max L. succumbed to spinal meningitis after slightly over a year. Both were my younger brothers.)
Lee Adrian Barlow Born Oct 31-1922
Harry L Barlow Born March 17 1866 Died Sept 11 1939
End of records.

As far as I know, they lived at 507 Montgomery Street, Shelbyville, before I entered the scene. Second marriage for both. I knew he played the coronet in a circus band, and found out much later that he was the strong man at the bottom of an exhibition pyramid. She was an accomplished seamstress (made some of my early school clothes), and a good musician also.

My father was born on St. Patrick's day, late in the nineteenth century, and had a brother James, who never married, and died in the forties. I had an uncle Marsh and his wife Matt (killed by a streetcar in the twenties) and an aunt Elt (uncertain of the relationship there).

Father was previously married to a lady I only heard referred to as "Maggie". They produced Alice, Pauline, and Carl. Alice married a man named Kontelas, and had a daughter Madeline. Later (in the late thirties) she married Louie Ferleman and lived in Petaluma, California. As nearly as I can recall, she passed on in the late fifties. The only time I remember meeting Pauline was in my pre-school days. Carl married Mabel Fox, and they had two sons; Robert and Donald. Robert became a DVM, and practiced in Indiana. Donald was killed in a car wreck in the sixties (or thereabouts). Carl and Mabel divorced in the thirties and he lived in Connersville, Indiana. He moved to Ireland and later to Portugal, where he passed on. A lot of this happened before my time, and we were never really close-knit, so the factuality is questionable.

On mother's side, she was born in Corinth, Kentucky, on 2 July, also in the nineteenth century. She had one sister named Pearl, living in Joplin, Missouri, and another named Lucille in Louisville, Kentucky. She married a McGinnis and they had Melburne (called Mac). Sometime along she and McGinnis divorced, and Harry Barlow came along. Mac married Miriam Lines of Milroy, Indiana. Their offspring were James Loren, Jacqueline Deloris, and Marilyn Jean. Jim is now living in California, Jackie in Shelbyville, and M. J. in Indianapolis (as far as I know).

[From nephew James McGinnis: Mother (Mariam Lines McGinnis) passed away on New Years eve 2000 at the hospital in Shelbyville, Ind., at the age of 94. She would have been 95 the 22nd of Feb.]

All of my grandparents were long gone upon my arrival, and I don't recall ever hearing their names. In retrospect, it seems that everything was geared to me, being raised as a single, and it never occurred to me to be inquisitive. As for the birth certificate, it originally recorded my name as Harry Lee (Father's name), which had to be corrected later.

Anyway, we lived in Shelbyville through WW II, except for my little excursions in the Army (June '39 to Nov '45). My father passed in '39 and was buried at Moscow. I've heard a new dam has since flooded the whole area. Mother went in '52 and was buried in Shelbyville under the name of McComas (3rd husband Roy McComas).

Growing up

Lee A. Barlow - 1925

I can vaguely remember events that must have happened when I was around three years old. Insignificant things, like running around the house, tipping a chair over backwards, playing in the yard, etc. Montgomery street (like many of the streets) was paved and had a very high crown. In the summer, it would be retarred by a monstrous (to me) steam tractor affair, and if I crossed the street later, we had to clean the tar off with kerosene. The house had no inside plumbing; there was a faucet in front by the brick sidewalk, and another in the back yard just outside the back door. We had the typical outhouse, but it was used for paint storage. The one we used was in the barn, but still cold in the winter. The barn had a criblike structure inside used for corncob storage (for heating) and a big back door to receive coal. It also had a loft, used for more storage. There was a lean-to garage on one end of it, housing a Model T Ford 3-door which was seldom used, and was eventually given away to, as I recall, Art Fox (Dr.Bob's grandfather). That's the only "car" we ever had, so our peregrinations were limited to walking distance.

The earliest aunt I can remember was Aunt Matt (ran over and killed by an interurban street car that connected Indianapolis and Shelbyville at that time). She was married to Uncle Marsh (presumably Marshall) Cherry, and they lived in Walkerville (far east side of Shelbyville). As a pre-schooler, I remember visiting them and having a big fried chicken dinner. Don't recall how we got there; it was over two miles, so we must have driven or rode with someone. Our car then was a Ford Model "T" phaeton, with cloth top and three doors (the driver's door was merely a stamped outline in the body panel). That car was driven very little, and each trip was an OCCASION.

Lee A. Barlow - 1930

So far as I knew, Harry L. (Flint) Barlow was a painting contractor, who formerly played cornet in a circus. I never knew of any of his other circus activities until long after his demise. It seems I was pretty much uninformed about the family, compared to others. Apparently it was just a matter of childlike acceptance of things as they are, with no questions or unanswered questions, which to this day crop up occasionally. Sometimes I can add up the loose ends and arrive at a conclusion, but there are lots of blanks.

Lee A. Barlow - 1929

My kindergarten and early years were at Thomas A. Hendricks School, aka the Hill Building, with a sojourn at Colescott School while Hill was being rebuilt. This all happened just before the stock market crash of '29, so I didn't really grasp the significance of it all, and regarded the shortage of money and its attendant complications as something normal. For instance, eggs cost twelve to fifteen cents a dozen, but many people didn't have the fifteen cents.

I distinctly remember my first day of kindergarten, and my feeling of abandonment when I realized Mother had snuck out and left me there. Inside was a kind of trolley thing; sort of a four-wheeled cart, non-steerable, which rolled on an inclined wooden ramp. One day, it seemed logical to take the cart outdoors to ride it down the hill (remember Hill Building?). Luckily the teacher was on top of things, so I barely got out the door before I was forcibly halted. At that time the kindergarten was a separate building alongside the school; during the rebuilding it was incorporated inside. I don't remember exactly when during my school days the rebuilding took place, but while that was going on my schedule was reduced to afternoon classes at Colescott school.

Lee A. Barlow - 1933

School in the twenties and thirties bore little resemblance to nowadays. Any disciplinary problems were addressed on the spot, and readdressed at home. Drugs and alcohol were strictly verboten, fights were quelled by the teachers (nobody in their right mind would even consider attacking a teacher), and gun/knife action was unknown. Most of us were raised by late Victorian ethical standards and couldn't conceive of violence toward authority.

[From nephew James McGinnis: Every once in awhile I remember another story about him. I guess I must have been in the 4th or 5th grade in Milroy, IN. He lived in Shelbyville, a distance of about 20 miles. Once during the summer he rode his bicycle to Milroy to visit us. Of course in those days, at least to us, Shelbyville seemed a long way away. We were amazed that he could do that.]

During my school years I became quite a proficient model builder. In those days rubber-powered flying models cost anywhere from ten to fifty cents per kit. Some of the really well-heeled guys went for the more expensive types, and the gee-whizzes even had gas models. Everything was free-flight, since no control system had as yet been devised. The engines were heavy and low-powered, so the "gas jobs" usually had a wingspan of six feet or more, compared to my little twelve-to-eighteen inchers.

I remember seeing the old muzzle-loader around the house in the mid-thirties, but somewhere along the line it disappeared. Apparently it was handed down to Carl, and then to Bob. I heard something about a gunsmith in my ancestry, but at the time it just blew overhead.

Lee A. Barlow - 1939

Sadly, my racing was all of the informal (read illegal) variety, and could have gotten me arrested if anything went wrong. It was engendered by a combination of over-confidence and juvenile stupidity, with a large measure of "it can't happen to me" mindset. Early on, I tangled with what I thought was a Willys. Driving a Pontiac eight, I was thinking "what's with this yahoo, anyway?". Well, we peeled out from the light, and huh!?--he's already up to the next light! Turned out the "Willys" was a civilianized Meyer-Drake Offie with a phony body; probably not even street legal. Eventually I "saw the light" and opted for safer pursuits. Since then, I've mellowed out, and hopefully got a little more sense. The proscription against peanuts (goobers) and green race cars at the track was an old drivers' superstition which (I've heard) dates 'way back to the early days. All of this was about the extent of my participation in sports, with the exception of marksmanship which came along later.

Once I passed the third grade, I wasn't an especially good student. Too interested in other things besides school subjects. So, on and on through High School, until mobilization, when I went to Camp Shelby instead of graduating.

The Army years

Lee A. Barlow - 1940

Before my 17th birthday, on 11 June 1939, I enlisted in the National Guard at Shelbyville. Unit was Company A, 151 Infantry, 76th Brigade, 38th Division. This was the old square division, consisting of two brigades of two regiments each. Basic (such as it was) was conducted on the street in front of the armory. I was issued a "Rifle, U.S., caliber 30, model 1903" (aka Springfield), serial number 327985, and a bayonet, serial number 328169, along with the usual uniform items and accouterments. Later in the year we went to Ft. Knox, Kentucky, for two weeks of field training. Normally we had one drill evening a month, which mainly augmented our rudimentary basic training.

[From nephew James McGinnis: He joined the Indiana National Guard when he was in high school. I remember a picture of him taken in Shelbyville in the heavy trench coat that the army issued during that era. He loved sardines and raisins. I can remember Grand-Mother Barlow sending cases of sardines to him when he was over seas. I'm pretty sure that she also sent raisins. I was very surprised to hear that he had never received the care packages. Even more surprised that he was unaware his Mom was sending him care packages. What a shame they never reached him. She was a wonderful person. He was playing the cornet in those days and was very good. He used to design and build model airplanes, using balsa wood and tissue. I can remember the ceiling in his bed room would have model airplanes hanging on string. Most of them would fly for short distances powered by a rubber band.]

In early Jan. '41 the division was mobilized under Federal control and sent to Camp Shelby, Mississippi. As a lowly PFC or NCO, I usually didn't know or really care who the higher brass were, and now I don't recall any names. At that time I carried a BAR (basic Army rifle), but soon switched to the machine gun section. The weapon was a water-cooled Browning, with the heavy tripod, etc. Sometime along, I became the company bugler/observer, and retained that status sporadically thru the war. Simultaneously I trained as a radio operator and was exposed to electronics (Neanderthal compared to nowadays). I became a radio operator, including Morse code, and used it sporadically thru the war.

For no particular reason, I suddenly remembered that the 38th Infantry Division commander during the Philippine campaigns was Maj. Gen. Chase. His jeep carried the initials "P K", which I was told stood for Private Kalinkovicz; significance unknown.

The next thing of note occurred on 7 Dec, 1941; "A day which shall live in infamy". Shortly thereafter we deployed to various locations guarding bridges, railroads, and other potential sensitive spots. Later we were assigned to Ft. Benning, Ga. as demonstration troops for the Infantry OCS, living in the Harmony Church area.

After that stint we returned to Camp Shelby, were issued new uniforms and M-1 rifles. During this time frame the division was triangularized, losing a regiment and being reorganized. Our next stop was Camp Apalachicola, Florida, for amphibious training. From there we went to Camp Livingston, Louisiana, a staging area for overseas shipment. The unit had been reinforced several times over the years, and so many of the original people had gone that it bore little resemblance to the outfit I originally signed up with. From there we went through the Panama Canal and on to Camp Malakole, Hawaii. Received extensive jungle, amphibious, and survival training while also manning beach fortifications.

Next stop was New Guinea, where we remained in reserve and saw no action. While there, I was transferred to the MP Platoon, 38th Division. We (the whole division) shipped out to Leyte and I wound up in Tacloban (Capital city). From there we springboarded to Luzon (Hermosa Beach, if I remember right), and engaged in various actions around Clark Field, Fort Stotsenberg, etc., till the end of WW II. (By that time I had returned to Company A, been involved in some action, and was more than ready to go home). I picked up the Japanese carbine somewhere on Luzon, but the events are so blurred by time I can't tell you exactly where. Suffice it to say the owner had no further use for it.

In Nov. '45 we shipped out to Camp Anza, California, where we split up and headed for our individual outprocessing sites. Mine was Camp Atterberry, Indiana.

[From Military Separation Report: Combat Infantryman Badge; Rifle Marksman; Carbine Marksman; Asiatic-Pacific Theater Ribbon with 3 Bronze Stars per WD GO #33/45; Bronze Arrowhead; American Theater Ribbon; American Defense Service Medal; Philippine Liberation Ribbon with 2 Bronze Stars; Good Conduct Ribbon; World War 2 Victory Medal.]

Famous last words: "I'm a civilian now, and they ain't never gonna get me back in a uniform again!" Stayed that way for almost three years (during which I took a course in aircraft instrument repair) but reenlisted Nov '48 in the Army Security Agency. Processed at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky, and went on to Camp (now Fort) Gordon, Georgia. Underwent further training in Morse code, and both used and taught it. My code speed has deteriorated somewhat, but could be brought back up to the 25-30 wpm range without too much trouble. Took more radio operator training and learned typewriter repair, and later went to Vint Hill Farm Station, Virginia.

Then came Korea! Next thing I knew I was on my way to Ft. Lewis, Washington, to join the 60th Signal Service Company. After a brief processing session we shipped out and spent the next few months hopping around among Seoul, Taegu, Taejon, Hungnam, Hamhung, and wherever. About a year later I rotated to Okinawa and joined the 111th Signal Service Company, later redesignated the 327th Communication Reconnaissance Company. In the spring of '52 I was emergency evacuated back to Shelbyville. The emergency evacuation was instigated by the Red Cross for compassionate reasons. I got back to Shelbyville ASAP, but didn't quite make it in time. Arrived there only in time for Mother's funeral. Just one of those things. From there I went to Ft. Devens, Massachusetts.

My first marriage was on 3 Apr '54, and I reached the age of 32 on 31 Oct.

All of this puts a strain on my leaky memory, so some of the dates and chronology may not be exactly accurate, but it may clarify some of the obfuscated past.

While this resume may contain slight inaccuracies in dates, it is correct to the best of my knowledge and should provide a pretty good insight as to my background and qualifications. Somehow I seem to do better in the maintenance field than in administrative or clerical.

June 1939 to Jan 1941:
During my high school days, I was a member of the National Guard prior to its mobilization as a Federal force. No occupation other than student.

Jan 1941 to Nov 1945:
Served in the 38th Infantry Division as a radio operator using the SCR-511, SCR-536, SCR-284, SCR-300, SCR-211, and similar radios. Was also a field music instructor and had a brief stint as a Military Policeman. Became qualified with all infantry weapons and was intimately familiar with the internal workings of most of them.

[From grandson Lin Geiselman: Did you know that Bampa was my inspiration for playing the trumpet? I first watched and listened to him play when I was 5 or 6 yrs old. I thought he was so cool. 5 years later I started playing it, and kept playing everyday through high school. Just about drove everyone bananas. Good enough for first chair in high school, but never as good as Bampa. I still pull it out of the case from time to time... I still see your dad.
From granddaughter Sherry Jeffords: Drive us crazy with playing the trumpet is an understatement. Anyway, I am proud of you Lin and am so glad you were inspired by Bampa. I just wish I had picked up his linguistic ability. I was and am still in awe of him.]

Nov 1945 to Nov 1948:
This break in service was characterized by an unsettled attitude and inability to find any occupation I really wanted to get my hands into. Tried a variety of jobs, but none proved satisfactory. Attended a six-month course in Instrument Repair at the Industrial Training Institute in Chicago, Illinois. The course dealt with the repair and calibration of aircraft and other precision instruments, such as pyrometers, barometers, temperature, pressure, viscosity, and flow meters; ammeters, voltmeters, wattmeters, and radio compasses; gyroscopic instruments including turn-and-bank indicators, directional gyros and gyro horizons. Graduated at the head of the class.

Nov 1948 to July 1949:
Attended the radio operator's course at Camp Gordon, Georgia. Graduated as a Radio Operator, High Speed, Manual.

July 1949 to July 1950:
Learned typewriter repair without help or instruction, and worked in typewriter maintenance at Camp Gordon, Georgia and Vint Hill Farms Station, Virginia. During this time, I was promoted to Private First Class, then to Corporal.

July 1950 to August 1952:
As a communications radio operator with a code speed of 25 wpm, I used such radio equipment as the SCR-177, SCR-188, and the SCR-399, sometimes in combat. Was required to operate the 2 ton 6x6 truck as well as the attached radio set.

August 1952 to May 1955:
Operated and worked in an office machine maintenance and repair section at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. Was responsible for the maintenance of approximately 1800 typewriters and a few other items of office machinery. Typewriters were, if necessary, stripped completely in the process of replacing worn or broken internal parts. I was thoroughly familiar with the various makes of typewriters, could perform any adjustment or repair needed, to the extent of welding broken frames and replacing typeheads in correct allignment. During this time I was promoted from Corporal to Sergeant.

May 1955 to April 1956:
Attended the 46-week course of instruction on the NIKE Fire Control System. The first nine weeks was a mathematics review covering algebra and trigonometry, and a course in basic electronics including DC and AC theory, relationships of magnetism to electricity, resistors, capacitors, inductors, dielectrics, amplifiers, oscillators, multivibrators, signal generators, pulse shapers, RC time constants, coupling networks, peaking networks, clippers, limiters, diodes, triodes, tetrodes, pentodes, beam power tubes, impedance, resonance, klystrons, thyratrons, transmission lines, waveguides, antennas, radio energy propagation, amplitude modulation, frequency modulation, modulators, demodulators, rectifiers, power supplies, and probably other things I cannot at the moment recall. The practical aspects of this phase consisted of breadboard work, building and demonstrating the above elements and phenomena, and culminated in the construction and circuit analysis of a superhererodyne radio receiver. The remainder of the course was devoted to NIKE AJAX, one element or component at a time. Each chassis was analyzed in the classroom, and fitted its proper place in the overall picture. The analog computer was taught in detail, physically, electronically, and mathematically. Each of the three radars was taught as to function, limitations, principles of operation, and its timing system. Safe use of test equipment was stressed throughout the course, and was emphasized by a few harmless but nerve-jangling boo-boos, on the part of the students. The practical exercises were tied in directly with the classroom conferences, with the end result that the graduate student knew the entire NIKE System and could troubleshoot any part of it.

April 1956 to September 1957:
Served as a maintenance technician on NIKE AJAX systems. This tour included thirteen months at Red Canyon Range Camp at Carrizozo, New Mexico. NIKE AJAX units from CONUS and overseas reported annually to Red Canyon Range for the purpose of conducting Annual Service Practice; during the week the unit was there, each of its batteries was required to fire three missiles from the sites emplaced in the area. I and other technicians performed regular preventive maintenance on these systems, and when the maintenance personnel of the ASP units were "stuck" by some trouble or problem, we were called in to restore the set to operational status. My primary area of responsibility was the Target Tracking Radar, Missile Tracking Radar, and the Radio Frequency Test Set; however, upon occasion I was called in to help straighten out the Acquisition Radar and/or the computer. My duties included system checkout, troubleshooting, circuit analysis, chassis and component substitution, and replacement of major components such as the event recorder, range potentiometer, azimuth and elevation potentiometers, acquisition radome, sections of the acquisition barbette, indicator scopes, and computer elements. In calibration, I used both optical and electronic test equipment, including spirit levels, telescopes, the RF Test Set, TS-352 multimeter, TS-505 voltmeter, Null Voltage Test Set, Synchroscope, and the built-in test equipment and signal generators located in the NIKE system. During this period I was promoted from Sergeant to Sergeant First Class.

September 1957 to November 1957:
Attended a course of familiarization instruction on the NIKE HERCULES system. This was a short course, designed to point out the differences between HERCULES and AJAX, with which I was already familiar. The course covered the improved Moving Target Indicator, the Traveling Wave Tube, the different Missile Command Method, and other improvements. Immediately upon completing this course, I was assigned to a NIKE AJAX set, and have never since associated with HERCULES, therefore, have never used the training except in a general way. During this period I was discharged as a Sergeant First Class and immediately appointed Warrant Officer W-l.

November 1957 to February 1958:
My assignment was Maintenance Officer on a NIKE AJAX system in a field-type unit. Worked with the Target Tracking Radar, Missile Tracking Radar, Acquisition Radar, Computer, and the cables, between and among the various units. Used test equipment such as the Null Voltage Test Set, TS505 voltmeter, TS352 multimeter, and the "A" scopes built into the radars, as well as the Radio Frequency Test Set. Had to do a lot of circuit tracing because of defective cabling due to the damp and snowy weather at the time, and the age of the system. During this period I was placed TDY with the Weapons System Evaluation Group, engaged in checking out the effectiveness of electronic counter-counter measures, collecting and reducing data, and classified activities.

February 1958 to May 1958:
At this time, the unit to which I was assigned was in its formative stages; nobody had been trained in the equipment we were intended to teach, and the time was used in assembling plans of instruction, arranging for instruction for the prospective instructors, and in general preparing to set up a course of instruction for maintenance-type trainees. My job was technical writing supervisor, and in the interest of self-improvement I did as much writing as I could, without getting "out on a limb" in some unfamiliar subject. Some of the basic electronics items I was instrumental in producing are still in use.

May 1958 to July 1958:
Attended the course of instruction on the AN/FSG-1 Missile Master System at the Martin Aircraft Company installation at Orlando, Florida. The course included the overall operation of the system and the FUIF portion of the system in extreme detail. The characteristics and functions of resistors, capacitors, transistors, diode gates, printed circuit packages, hybrid coil, relay-operated voltage divider, summing amplifier, differential amplifier, binary counter, ring counter, shift register, various oscillators, pulse divider, atomic aspects of semiconductor theory, binary arithmetic theory and application, and various other items were thoroughly explored. Training also included the Tektronix 535 oscilloscope, the Fluke differential voltmeter, and practical work on the FUIF equipment. I completed this course at the head of a class of 17, whose ranks ranged from Private First Class to Captain.

July 1958 to December 1961:
Was assigned as an instructor on the FUIF portion of the AN/FSC-1 Missile Master System. Spent about fifty percent of my time in originating, administering, reviewing, updating, and analyzing written examination items and complete examinations to be used in the course, which included instruction to individual component level on the Coordinate Data Set AN/TSQ-8, data converter, range computer, summing amplifier, status relay panel, status control panel, problem unit, power control panel, and all power supplies and regulators in the FUIF, along with binary theory, semiconductor theory, and circuit configurations peculiar to the equipment. Twenty percent of the time I was engaged in evaluating platform and laboratory instruction and instructors; checking classroom presentations for technical accuracy and school-approved teaching methods and procedures, checking labs for competent checkout and troubleshooting procedures, proper use of such test equipment as the Tektronix 535 Oscilloscope, differential (Fluke) voltmeter, vacuum tube voltmeter TS-505, multimeter TS-352, and the appropriate pre-amps and cables; coordinating classrooms and labs to insure continuity of instruction without conflicts or differences of opinion among the different instructional teams and individual instructors. Fifteen percent of the time I spent in technical writing, reviewing and proofreading training literature and schematics, working out plans and schedules of instruction, checking and revising classroom quizzes, and plotting equipment utilization. The rest of the time was consumed by miscellaneous functions such as administrative details, supply accountability for buildings, furniture, and equipment, etc. During this period I was promoted to CWO W-2.

December 1961 to March 1962:
Acted as a technical advisor on the FUIF equipment at Division level; reviewed technical manuals, films, and manufacturers' brochures for applicability to the unit, worked with the Army Pictorial Center at New York as a technical advisor during the production of a training film dealing with FUIF and its associated NIKE battery.

March 1962 to April 1963:
Was a Maintenance and Supply Officer in the Air Defense School, with the responsibility for the maintenance of proper functioning of four FUIF's of the AN/FSG-1 System and four Coder-Decoder Groups of the AN/MSQ-18 System. While this was supposed to be a first and second echelon operation, my section frequently extended itself into higher echelon activities, such as printed circuit card repair, system recabling, designing and building specialized test equipment, system modification, and practically rebuilding one Coder-Decoder Group damaged by a sudden over-voltage condition. I maintained my theoretical knowledge of the equipment, and "kept my hands in the mechanisms" as much as class schedules and other commitments permitted. I designed and attempted to build a four-battery simulator (to represent the inputs and outputs of four NIKE batteries) for use with FUIF's, but was unable to acquire some of the correct components, so had to abandon project. Revising the design to accept available parts, and attempting to "scrounge" the parts required about ten to fifteen percent of my time. Circuit tracing by using the TS-505 and the TS-352 in the AN/MSQ-18 equipment occupied another ten percent. Spent about ten percent of the time analyzing components, often with substitution in mind, in the interest of efficiency. A good twenty five percent of the time I was studying the schematics of the Coder-Decoder Group (for which I had not been trained) in an attempt to learn its operation and data flow. The rest of the time I was responsible for the acquisition, maintenance, distribution, and disposition of buildings, furniture, office supplies and equipment, tools, test equipment, housekeeping items, and major items of electronic gear.

April 1963 to July 1963:
Served as supply officer for the annual visit of approximately six hundred United States Military Academy Cadets (West Pointers) to Fort Bliss. This was strictly the "Red Carpet" treatment; everything they used or contacted had to be as near to new condition as we could manage. I supervised the spit-and-polish renovation of barracks, mess halls, dayrooms, lounges, and landscaping prior to the visit; had responsibility for the acquisition, storage, accountability, issue, and turn-in of all property, including buildings, required before, during, and after the visit; acted as liaison with various supporting agencies such as plumbers, electricians, telephone installers, etc., involved in reconditioning the buildings, and oversaw the activities of some 70 to 80 enlisted personnel assigned to the project. During this time, while I was TDY to the USMA Project, the maintenance unit which I had previously headed was disbanded due to a change in organizational structure of the parent unit.

July 1963 to January 1964:
During this period, which terminated with my retirement as a Chief Warrant Officer, W-2, I was engaged about twenty five percent of the time in evaluation of instructors and instruction at the U. S. Army Air Defense School, Fort Bliss, Texas. The instruction included depot level maintenance on Electronic Fire Direction equipment such as the AN/MSQ-18, AN/MPS-23, AN/MSQ-29, AN/MSQ-30, AN/FSG-1, and Radar Tracking Station Equipment. Evaluated classroom presentations for technical accuracy, clarity, appropriateness, and conformity with School doctrines and procedures. Monitored laboratory classes to insure safe practices, competent procedures, minimum damage potential to the equipment, and proper use of test equipment such as the Tektronix 310 oscilloscope or AN/USM-89, Tektronix 535 oscilloscope or AN/USM-81, vacuum tube voltmeter TS-505, multimeter TS-352, tube tester TV-7, and octopus leads and other input, sync, and test leads used with this equipment. Performed comparative evaluations of instructors' capabilities and personalities for recognition as "Instructor of the Month" and to detect and correct deficiencies in the instructors and/or their presentations. Twenty percent of my time was in checking the technical accuracy and effectiveness of the wording and format of examination items (questions) to be used to determine the students' level of proficiency for pay purposes at the end of the courses. Ten percent of the time I performed research in technical manuals and public relations handouts to assemble brochures and literature descriptive of the missions and functions of the Air Defense School and of the local environment, intended for distribution to the "back at home" families and relatives of the students. Twenty five percent of the time I was supervising the work of clerk-typists producing literature (much of it Classified) and administrative material required by our unit and subordinate units. The rest of the time I assisted toward accountability for Government Property, supervised potentially dangerous activities such as moving relatively heavy (800 lb) classified material containers from one floor to another within and between buildings, establishing fuel systems for gasoline fired personnel heaters in the Coder-Decoder groups and Operations Centrals of the AN/MSQ-18 Systems, and determining power requirements for areas of buildings and their installed electronic gear. During this period I was frequently called upon to clarify terminology and points in electronic theory for the typists; procure some unusual sort of equipment; do a bit of research which may or may not have any bearing on my previous experience; or arrange for some activity not normally required. The known imminence of my retirement seemed to preclude my settling into any kind of a rut, or undertaking any long-term project.


If I have any color preference at all, it would be for some lighter shade such as cream, pale gray, etc. I have always had trouble with greenish blue or bluish green; probably a trace of color-blindness.

My code speed has deteriorated somewhat, but could be brought back up to the 25-30 wpm range without too much trouble. It was instrumental in obtaining my ham license in 1979, which I still hold. Call sign KA5EUX, class advanced.


I guess you know that by exposing me to the computer, you opened the floodgates to an area of communication I didn't realize existed, and for that a million thankyews. Once I get the hang of this "infernal machine", operation should come more easily. I still tend to regard it as a kind of typewriter with too many keys and no platen. See what you've done? By setting this thing in front of me, you succeeded in unleashing my senile propensity for garrulity. My proficiency with the computer has risen to a value somewhere between Piltdown and Cro-Magnon.

Locally, the humanitarian organizations are starting to vie for the leftover goodies from the stockpilers. Suppose it'll take a little time to settle down after the Y2K fiasco, but since I "observed by ignoring", I remain unaffected by it all.

The New Apartment

Had a couple of busy (by my standards) days. Yesterday I spent most of the time writing checks, running around paying bills, giving notice here, assembling stuff to be removed, etc. Too cold and windy for any pleasure shooting, so I saved my ammunition for later.

Nice weather the last couple of days here. Each time I haul a few smaller things that'll fit in the car. Hope to have it all dwindled down by D-day, to simplify the moving process. Even after we're all done, there'll still be a few things, but nothing too big for the "Scavenger". Not quite as bad off as I was this time last month, which helps a lot. Looking forward to better access to everything. Well enuffa this--gotta get back to my nonproductive activities.

Just got my phone hooked up this morning, so here we go again! Have arrived at the stage of Armageddon; i.e., Armageddon this place more liveable every day, and generating piles of glotch in the process. If you ever want to know just how much junk you have managed to accumulate, just try moving it. I'm finding things I forgot (or never knew) I had, so much of which was irrelevant to any sane existence. Now it's my turn to sort it all out and see what I can dispense with. Next step--find a suitable washer-dryer combo. Lotsa things to do.

Am at the moment, and have been for most of the past week, deeply involved in back laundry. Found a washer and dryer (mismatched, of course) in a reasonably good condition at a used appliance place. Since they were delivered, the only rest they get is at night. Even managed to get in a few licks today during the Winston Cup yellows. About ready to hang it up for the nonce.

It seems that even though I swap vehicles, and make this move to reduce gasoline usage, the powers that be just raise their prices, so I continue to pay about the same as before. Maybe my next trade will involve a bicycle or roller skates, or something equally economical.

Nasty day today; lots of wind and dust, and the temperature forgot to rise. Have to run to the Post Office and check the box daily, and bounce back the stuff with somebody else's name on it. Slowly but surely getting things under some semblance of control.

Have my cable TV hooked up and running. Didn't go for the digital with all its bells and whistles this time. Why pay for a bunch of music channels I can't hear, PPV's in which I don't participate, and movies I'm too busy or restless to watch? Saving a few bux, too.

Looks like OPEC, for whatever reason, has decided to loosen the squeeze and increase production a bit. Doesn't matter too much to me, since I've realigned my existence so as to be less of a consumer, anyway, and I come out 'way ahead of where I was on driving distances. Can't beat that with a stick.

Not much else to report, except for the monotonously balmy weather normal for these parts. Once I get everything established and in order, maybe I can get back to the shooting process.

I'm getting into a recovery phase now that I don't have to drive so much, and can see a glimmer of light in the tunnel. Just hope it's not an approaching locomotive. That's the way it goes; a dollar here and a dollar there, and the first thing you know there's a couple of bucks clear. Slow process, but time I've got. Speaking of which, tempus is fugiting all over the place.

Took the old Luger to the range today, and chronographed some 60 rounds. Still haven't hit the right combination yet, but that's life. Just gives me something more to look forward to. (Yes, I know about terminal prepositions, but I occasionally ignore the niceties.)

Took my old Airtronics radio control equipment to the hobby shop to see what it figured to cost for updating, and happy-happy! It turns out that it's legal as is, so I don't have to do anything to it in that regard. Saves me a few bucks, and if I go with one of my glow engines on the trainer, I have very little expense involved in my return to aeronautical pursuits. Sporadically work on the trainer as the mood strikes me, and one of these days I'll either be a flier or a salvager.

I'd better sign off for the nonce, and give it a rest. Talk witcha later--LB"


Dad went to the VA Clinic in El Paso, TX, on 11 October 2000 for a minor problem - that turned out to be cancer. He was transferred to William Beaumont Army Medical Center in El Paso, TX, for testing and surgery. His first surgery was a week later, and there were many problems. That's another story! As soon as it was possible, I had him transferred to the VA Medical Center in Dallas, TX. He stayed at the Transitional Care Unit (TCU) there for chemotherapy, radiation treatment, rehabilitation, and physical therapy. Dad had a second surgery in February 2001, and then went back to the TCU for recuperation and Hospice care. In late March, we started weekend visits to what would be Dad's new home in Bowie, TX. Dad was discharged from the VA Hospital to home Hospice care on 27 April 2001.

Lee Adrian Barlow died suddenly on the evening of 29 April 2001 at his home in Bowie, TX. He is buried at Fort Bliss National Cemetery with Grace Louise (Smith) Barlow.

"A man is not completely born until he is dead. Why then should we grieve that a new child is born among the immortals?

We are spirits. That bodies should be lent us while they afford us pleasure, assist us in acquiring knowledge or in doing good to our fellow creatures is a kind of benevolent act of God.

When they become unfit for these purposes, and afford us pain instead of pleasure, instead of an aid become an encumbrance and answer none of these intentions for which they were given, it is equally kind and benevolent that a way is provided by which we get rid of them.

Death is that way."

Benjamin Franklin

Back to My Barlow Page